4 Las Vegas Teens Charged As Adults In Fatal Beating Of Classmate
OAN’s Abril Elfi
5:52 PM – Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Prosecutors have charged four teenage high school students as adults in connection to the fatal beating of one of their classmates.
Two 16-year-olds and two 17-year-olds will be charged as adults in the deadly beating of 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr.
District Attorney Steve Wolfson said that his office decided against filing a first-degree murder charge against the boys, since the beating was not a premeditated act based on the available evidence.
At least ten students between the ages of 13 and 17-years-old are said to have been involved in the fight that ended in Lewis’s death on November 1st, and eight of them have been arrested thus far.
Due to the rest of the students involved being younger than 16-years-old, they are awaiting a separate hearing.
Authorities claim that after school, students at Rancho High School in east Las Vegas had planned to get together off campus in order to fight over items that the victim’s friend claimed were stolen, including a vape pen and a pair of wireless headphones.
The victim is seen in the captured video taking off his shirt and getting ready for the fight, according to Police Lt. Jason Johansson. Soon after, 10 students “immediately swarm him, pull him to the ground and begin kicking, punching, and stomping on him.”
According to the coroner’s office, Lewis was hospitalized with severe head trauma, among other injuries. He passed away a week later.
Robert Draskovich, who has been appointed to represent one of the accused 17-year-old students, said on Tuesday that videos taken of the fight that were shared on social media are “incomplete.”
“I’ll be going through all the videos with my investigator to see what really happened,” he maintained.
If a teenager in Nevada is charged with murder and was 13-years-old or older at the time of the alleged crime, they could easily face adult charges.
However, before determining whether to transfer the teen to the adult court system, a family court judge will reportedly consider the available evidence and the teen’s past history at a hearing referred to as a certification hearing.
In Nevada, adult charges can be brought against minors 16 years of age or older who are suspected of murder without a certification hearing. For this reason, the cases of the four older students were transferred by a judge last week.
According to police records, one of the assailants had turned 16-years-old on the day of the fight.
Wolfson also told reporters that a ninth arrest was made on Tuesday, but no further details have been released.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Stay informed! Receive breaking news blasts directly to your inbox for free. Subscribe here. https://www.oann.com/alerts
The Chief of Crypto Giant Binance pleads guilty to money laundering and steps down, Israel may agree to a hostage deal and Susan Sarandon is dumped by her agency.
It’s that time of year again to be thankful and pardon turkeys.
Defense Chief Lloyd Austin made an unannounced trip to Ukraine this week, announcing 100 million dollars in more aid to the region.
The US government has declared war on our 1st Amendment, and One America News is Washington’s number one target.
Social media company X CEO Linda Yaccarino told employees that “data will tell the real story” about its efforts to battle antisemitism.
Microsoft emerged on Monday as the big winner of the upheaval at OpenAI, hiring ousted CEO Sam Altman and other key staff of the startup.
OpenAI named ex-Twitch boss Emmett Shear as interim CEO, while outgoing chief Sam Altman is set to join backer Microsoft in a surprise turn of events for the startup.
OpenAI’s staff has threatened to quit the AI startup and join former boss Sam Altman at Microsoft’s new division unless the board resigns.
rnrn
What factors led to the decision to charge the four teenage high school students as adults in connection with the fatal beating?
Prosecutors have charged four teenage high school students as adults in connection to the fatal beating of one of their classmates. The incident occurred at Rancho High School in eastern Las Vegas on November 1st, resulting in the death of 17-year-old Jonathan Lewis Jr.
Two 16-year-olds and two 17-year-olds will face adult charges for their involvement in the deadly beating. District Attorney Steve Wolfson explained that his office decided against filing a first-degree murder charge as the beating was not a premeditated act based on the available evidence.
Reports indicate that at least ten students between the ages of 13 and 17 participated in the fight. So far, eight of them have been arrested, while the remaining students, who are younger than 16, are awaiting a separate hearing.
Authorities claim that the fight was organized off campus after school, following an argument over stolen items including a vape pen and wireless headphones. In a captured video, the victim is seen preparing for the fight by taking off his shirt. Suddenly, ten students swarm him, dragging him to the ground and inflicting kicks, punches, and stomps.
Jonathan Lewis Jr. was hospitalized with severe head trauma and other injuries following the attack. Unfortunately, he passed away a week later due to his injuries.
Robert Draskovich, the attorney representing one of the accused 17-year-old students, has questioned the validity of the videos shared on social media, stating that they are incomplete. He promises to thoroughly investigate the footage to determine what truly transpired during the incident.
In Nevada, if a teenager aged 13 or older is charged with murder, they can face adult charges. However, before transferring the case to the adult court system, a family court judge will conduct a certification hearing to review the evidence and the teen’s past history. In the cases of the four older students involved in this incident, a judge has already decided to transfer their cases to adult court.
It was also announced that a ninth arrest was made on Tuesday, although no further details have been released at this time.
As this is a developing story, updates are expected to be provided in the future.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
Now loading...