Crying Uncle: Ontario Premier Makes Liberation Day Plea to Trump, Agrees to His Terms

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has expressed a willingness to eliminate tariffs on U.S. goods if President Donald Trump agrees to do the same. This shift comes after Ford had previously threatened to cut off electricity exports to the U.S. in response to Trump’s tariff policies. During an interview with CNBC, Ford stated that he would remove tariffs immediately if Trump reciprocated, highlighting that they are ready to negotiate for zero tariffs. Ford reiterated this commitment in a subsequent interview, framing his stance as a response to Trump’s recent declaration of a new tariff regime, which he sees as an opportunity for negotiation.

President trump has been promoting the effectiveness of his tariff policies, claiming they empower the U.S. in trade negotiations and suggesting that other countries are eager to engage in discussions. He believes this approach will ultimately lead to a resurgence of American manufacturing and economic growth.

Former Commerce Secretary carlos Gutierrez remarked that Trump’s recent actions indicate the beginning of notable negotiations, involving not just production relocation but also market access for U.S. goods. He suggested that while higher reciprocal tariffs might be lifted,a baseline tariff of 10% may remain as a revenue source for the U.S. government. the situation reflects a dynamic trade discourse between Canada and the U.S., highlighting the potential for new economic policies based on negotiated tariff adjustments.


Ontario Premier Doug Ford is apparently coming around to President Donald Trump’s way of thinking that Canada should remove its high tariffs on U.S. goods coming into his country.

This is the same Canadian leader who had threatened just last month to shut off electricity to Americans coming from his country if Trump imposed tariffs.

CNBC’s Andrew Ross Sorkin asked Ford on Wednesday, ahead of Trump’s reciprocal tariff announcement, “Do you think it’s fair? You have tariffs on a whole number of products.”

“That’s right, and we’d be willing to take those off tomorrow if he took all the tariffs off,” Ford said.

Sorkin responded to Ford, “You’re saying you’d take all the tariffs off. … I guess my question is, why has all of that not already happened, and does President Trump know that you’d be prepared to do that?”

“He knows, and [Commerce] Secretary [Howard] Lutnick knows that we’re willing to take these tariffs off in the next minute, if he said he’s taking their tariffs off,” Ford asserted.

“If he dropped all the tariffs, we’d have zero tariffs,” the premier said.

Now, what got Ford to the point of saying that Canada’s willing to drop all its tariffs? Trump announcing a new tariff regime.

That is the stick that is driving these negotiations.

On Thursday, Ford reiterated in an interview with CTV, “We’re going to continue targeting zero tariffs.”

So, everything appears to be going according to Trump’s plan.

“I think it’s going very well,” the president told reporters at the White House Thursday regarding his tariff policy, as the stock market took a major hit.

“It was an operation, like when a patient get operated on. It’s a big thing. I said this [would] exactly be the way it is,” he continued, meaning there would be some turbulence.

But he pointed to the nearly $5 trillion in investment into the U.S. economy made since he’s taken office as proof that his plan to bring manufacturing back to the U.S. through tariffs and pro-growth tax and regulatory policies is working.

“The rest of the world wants to see is there any way to make a deal,” Trump said. Premier Ford’s comments above are a case in point.

He added later in the day, “Tariffs give us great power to negotiate.”

“What we have is we have a set of tariffs based on what they have been charging us. That’s reciprocal. And those tariffs have come in, and every country has called us. That’s the beauty of what we do. We put ourselves in the driver’s seat,” Trump said.

Former George W. Bush Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez said he believes this is exactly what Trump is up to.

After Trump’s Wednesday announcement, Gutierrez told CNBC, “It’s the opening step. I would expect, and I would assume that this will not be in place in a month, two months. Definitely not in the back half of the year. So I’m in the camp that this is … the beginning of a big negotiation.”

He added, “It’s not only about bringing production back, but it’s also about market access.”

Trump’s reciprocal tariff plan calls for countries that charge the U.S. high rates to be charged half that amount in return, with 10 percent as a baseline amount on all goods coming into America.

Gutierrez argued that Trump will likely want to keep in place the 10 percent across-the-board tariff as a revenue generator, while the higher reciprocal tariffs on dozens of countries will go away as they lower their import duties on U.S. goods.

That feels like how all this is going to play out.

It’s Trump’s “Art of the Deal” in action.




Advertise with The Western Journal and reach millions of highly engaged readers, while supporting our work. Advertise Today.



" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sponsored Content
Back to top button
Available for Amazon Prime
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker