Kari Lake reverses her decision to cancel funding for Radio Free Europe, according to the Washington Examiner
Kari Lake, a senior adviser at the U.S. Agency for Global Media, has retracted her decision to cancel funding for Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) following a temporary restraining order issued by a U.S. District court. The court ruled that the claims of an Administrative Procedure Act violation were likely to succeed, leading to the withdrawal of her previous termination order. This action represents a setback for the Trump governance, which aimed to eliminate government-funded media outlets accused of promoting left-wing narratives.Lake communicated her decision to RFE/RL, stating that while the current termination is lifted, the agency retains authority to possibly terminate the grant in the future. The court highlighted that such an abrupt discontinuation of funding contradicted congressional appropriations that support RFE/RL annually. Lake’s initial order to shut down RFE/RL was rooted in a broader discontent with U.S. government-funded organizations, particularly citing alleged bias in reporting.
Kari Lake withdraws cancellation of Radio Free Europe funding
U.S. Agency for Global Media senior adviser Kari Lake withdrew the Trump administration’s cancellation of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty’s funding on Wednesday after a court granted the news organization a temporary restraining order.
Lake rescinded the order to end a legal standoff with the organization after Judge Royce Lamberth of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that the claim of an Administrative Procedure Act violation was likely to succeed on its merits. The move marks a defeat for the Trump administration’s efforts to end U.S.-funded media, which the administration believes push left-wing propaganda.
“Plaintiff has secured the primary relief — withdrawing the termination of its grant agreement — that it requested in the complaint. Now that Plaintiff has received that relief, Defendants’ position is that this matter is now moot,” Lake’s attorney wrote.
Lake sent a letter to RFE/RL on Wednesday announcing the decision.
“This precision is without prejudice to USAGM’s authority to terminate the grant at a later date if USAGM were to determine that such termination was appropriate under the applicable law,” she wrote.
In his Tuesday ruling, Lamberth wrote that the attempted liquidation of RFE/RL was contrary to the position of Congress, which appropriates funds for the organization every year.
“The leadership of USAGM cannot, with one sentence of reasoning offering virtually no explanation, force RFE/RL to shut down — even if the President has told them to do so,” he wrote.
JUDGE BLOCKS KARI LAKE AND TRUMP ADMINISTRATION FROM PULLING RADIO FREE EUROPE FUNDING
President Donald Trump signed an executive order earlier this month drastically cutting USAGM and other U.S.-funded organizations. Lake told the organization to disband in a March 15 letter, citing a shift in the government’s priorities.
The White House had grown incensed with USAGM’s outlets, particularly Voice of America, which operates under the same umbrella as RFE/RL. A March 15 press release titled “The Voice of Radical America” cited several VOA articles as evidence of alleged liberal bias, including one on “white privilege” and a video about transgender migrants seeking to enter the United States.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
Now loading...