Top Prosecutors Quit Manhattan DA Probe Into Trump As Investigation Stalls

image

Two of the leading prosecutors in the Manhattan district attorney’s investigation into former President Donald Trump’s business practices resigned on Wednesday.

Prosecutors Carey Dunne, who has been involved in the probe for years, and Mark Pomerantz, a figure well-known in New York legal circles, submitted their resignations after District Attorney Alvin Bragg had stalled the investigation for about a month, according to The New York Times. The lack of movement in the investigation paired with the high-level departures suggests that Bragg may not have confidence in the case, according to The New York Times. Neither prosecutor gave a reason as to why either left.

A grand jury assembled to hear the evidence against Trump has gone more than a month without hearing from a witness, a source told the Times. The jury’s term is set to end in April, giving Bragg’s office an unofficial time limit on how long it has to collect evidence in the case.

Still, several avenues remain open past the April term limit, though each is unlikely, according to the Times. Prosecutors could ask the jury to extend its term, an uncommon request, or a new grand jury could be called, which prosecutors generally avoid as witnesses risk making conflicting statements from one jury to the next.

Bragg’s office is investigating Trump’s business practices in New York’s real estate market. At the center of the investigation are questions about whether Trump intentionally inflated the value of his assets in order to secure better deals and larger loans.

Trump blasted Bragg and New York Attorney General Letitia James, who is leading her own investigation into Trump’s business practices, in a statement last week, calling the duel probes a “political and racist attack.”

“After five years of constant bombardment, this political and racist attack must stop. Look to the murderers, drug dealers and rapists instead,” Trump said in a statement. “The actions of the AG and DA, including the Radical Left Westchester County DA [Miriam E. Rocah] who was a Trump hating contributor at MSNBC, reveal the vile and malicious intent that underlies the nonstop barrage of insults and threats aimed at me and the Trump Organization, including their years-long review of over nine million pages of documents that go far beyond the Statute of Limitations.”

Bragg’s investigation focused in particular on documents obtained from Trump’s accounting firm, Mazars. The firm cut ties with the Trump Organization earlier this month, disowning Trump’s business and claiming that the years-worth of accounting documents it had “should no longer be relied upon.” The firm also said that it had not identified any “material discrepancies” in the document either, however.

“While we have not concluded that the various financial statements, as a whole, contain material discrepancies, based on the totality of the circumstances, we believe our advice to no longer rely upon those financial statements is appropriate,” a letter sent from Mazars to the Trump Organization said.

The Daily Wire’s first original film, Shut In, has made its cinematic debut, being met with rave reviews. The Daily Wire is building an alternative to the leftist entertainment industry, one gripping movie at a time. Join us in this mission and stream Shut In today by becoming a Daily Wire member.


Read More From Original Article Here:

" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Sponsored Content
Back to top button
Available for Amazon Prime
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker