Trump skips ceremony for four fallen US soldiers

Former President Donald Trump opted not to attend teh dignified transfer ceremony for four U.S. soldiers who died during a training exercise in Lithuania, delegating the responsibility to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth instead. While Trump was in South Florida for the LIV golf tournament, the ceremony took place at Dover Air Force Base. The decision to miss the event drew criticism from Democrats, including Senator Ruben Gallego, who highlighted the president’s absence from such a significant moment honoring fallen servicemembers. The soldiers were recovered after a search operation following their missing status due to a vehicle accident during the exercise. In contrast, a group of Democratic lawmakers attended the solemn ceremony to honor the soldiers, underscoring the political divides surrounding attendance at military commemorations.


Trump skips Dover ceremony for four US soldiers killed in Lithuania

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, not President Donald Trump, will attend the Friday dignified transfer of the four U.S. soldiers who died in Lithuania last week during a training exercise.

Trump traveled to South Florida Thursday afternoon to attend the LIV golf tournament, which will take place this weekend at Trump National Doral.

BODY OF FINAL MISSING US ARMY SOLDIER IN LITHUANIA RECOVERED, HEGSETH ANNOUNCES

“The Secretary of Defense will represent the Administration at the dignified transfer for the four brave U.S. servicemembers who tragically died during a training exercise in Lithuania,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement to the Washington Examiner.

President Donald Trump, driven by his son Eric Trump, arrives at Trump National Doral during the LIV Golf Miami tournament, Thursday, April 3, 2025, in Miami. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Sgt. Jose Duenez Jr., Sgt. Edvin Franco, Pfc. Dante Taitano, and Staff Sgt. Troy Knutson Collins, all based with the U.S. Army’s 3rd Infantry Division, went missing along with an M88A2 Hercules during a scheduled training exercise in Pabrade, Lithuania, last week. American, Lithuanian, and Polish teams searched the surrounding area for days before recovering the military vehicle from a swamp on Monday and recovering the final set of remains the following day.

The family members of the fallen soldiers requested that no media be present at the transfer on Friday, according to White House officials.

Democrats, however, were quick to note the president’s decision not to attend Friday’s dignified transfer.

“The President of the United States as of now will not meet the remains of our service members when they land at Dover… because he will be at a golf tournament,” Sen. Ruben Gallego (D-AZ) wrote on X. “Now you see why we are worried about his cuts to the VA?”

Furthermore, a group of Democratic lawmakers, including Sens. Dick Durbin (D-IL), Tammy Duckworth (D-IL, and Chris Coons (D-DE), are expected to attend the transfer at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Former President Joe Biden drew sharp critiques for his 2021 attendance at the dignified transfer for U.S. service members killed in the August withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Critics attacked Biden after images of the former president checking his watch during the transfer went viral on social media. Trump featured the families of the 13 slain Americans throughout much of his 2024 campaign.

U.S. Army soldiers and Lithuanian servicemen salute as they attend a solemn farewell ceremony at Cathedral Square in Vilnius, Lithuania, Thursday, April 3, 2025, for the U.S. soldiers who died during a training exercise. (AP Photo/Mindaugas Kulbis)

Prior to the departure from Europe on Thursday, American and Lithuanian officials honored the four fallen soldiers with a miles-long parade.

“In this time of profound sorrow, we are reminded of the indomitable bond between our nations,” The U.S. Embassy in Vilnius said in a statement. “The compassion, respect, and unwavering support demonstrated by Lithuania and all who stood with us will echo for years to come. To our Allies, fellow service members, and everyone who contributed to bringing them home—our deepest gratitude.”

— U.S. Embassy Vilnius (@USEmbVilnius) April 3, 2025


Read More From Original Article Here: Trump skips ceremony for four fallen US soldiers

" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sponsored Content
Back to top button
Available for Amazon Prime
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker