Trump to Make Final TikTok Decision After All-Star Meeting: Report

A crucial high-level meeting at the White House is set to determine the future of the social media platform TikTok. Following a bill passed by Congress and signed into law by former President Biden, the Chinese company ByteDance, which owns TikTok, has been given a deadline to sell the app, or it faces a ban. This meeting involves key figures such as President Trump, Vice President J.D. Vance, and national security officials. Concerns revolve around data privacy, as it is feared that the Chinese government could access user data. Trump has indicated important interest in acquiring TikTok from various potential buyers, including major investment firms. As the deadline approaches, there is speculation that Trump might extend it if a deal is reached. The meeting is seen as a final opportunity to approve the sale, with estimates of TikTok’s value reaching up to $50 billion.


A major high-level White House meeting Wednesday could decide the fate of the social media app TikTok, according to news reports.

Last year, Congress passed a bill, which former President Joe Biden signed, requiring Byte Dance, the Chinese company that owns TikTok, to divest itself of the app, or the app would be banned. President Donald Trump gave Byte Dance a 75-day extension on its January deadline, making Saturday the date for either a sale or a ban.

The concern with TikTok is that the Chinese government could have access to private information about users, because Chinese businesses have to give their government anything it wants.

Trump will meet with Vice President J.D. Vance, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard, and national security adviser Michael Waltz, among others, according to NBC.

Trump said Sunday there are “a lot of potential buyers” for TikTok.

“There’s tremendous interest in TikTok,” Trump said.

“The decision is going to be my decision. … We have a great team of people thinking, essentially taking bids. We have a lot of people that want to buy TikTok. We’re dealing with China also on it, because they may have something to do with it,” he said.

Vance has also been upbeat that there would be a sale.

“There will almost certainly be a high-level agreement that I think satisfies our national security concerns, allows there to be a distinct American TikTok enterprise,” Vance said.

A report from CBS News framed Wednesday’s meeting as a final session to approve a sale.

CBS said investors are likely to include Blackstone, Oracle, “blue chip private equity firms, venture capital firms, and major investors in the technology industry.”

NBC had listed entrepreneur Reid Rasner, CEO of Omnivest Financial, and Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, in partnership with businessman Frank McCourt, as being among the bidders for TikTok.

Jesse Tinsley, the founder of Employer.com, says he has assembled a $30 billion bid in a group that includes the CEO of Roblox, the video game platform, according to the Associated Press.

NBC said TikTok’s worth has been estimated as high as $50 billion.

CBS noted that on Sunday, Trump said, “I’d like to see TikTok remain alive.”

On Monday, he said there was “a lot of enthusiasm for TikTok.”

CNN indicated that there is an expectation that if the outlines of a deal are agreed to, Trump could extend the Saturday deadline until the deal is finalized.




Advertise with The Western Journal and reach millions of highly engaged readers, while supporting our work. Advertise Today.



" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sponsored Content
Back to top button
Available for Amazon Prime
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker