White House to fight ruling ordering Trump to rehire federal workers – Washington Examiner
White House to fight ruling ordering Trump to rehire fired federal workers
The White House says it plans to fight a ruling by a federal judge ordering the administration to immediately reinstate thousands of probationary federal workers fired amid President Donald Trump‘s efforts to shrink the government’s workforce and budget.
William Alsup, the Senior U.S. District Judge of the Northern District of California, ruled Thursday that the Departments of Agriculture, Defense, Energy, Interior, Treasury, and Veterans Affairs must extend offers to fired employees to return to their previous positions.
Alsup, a former President Bill Clinton appointee, specifically claimed that Trump’s Office of Personnel Management had reached an “unlawful” decision to proceed with the “sham” firings.
“A single judge is attempting to unconstitutionally seize the power of hiring and firing from the Executive Branch,” White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said in a statement. “The president has the authority to exercise the power of the entire executive branch — singular district court judges cannot abuse the power of the entire judiciary to thwart the President’s agenda.”
“If a federal district court judge would like executive powers, they can try and run for President themselves,” she continued. “The Trump Administration will immediately fight back against this absurd and unconstitutional order.”
Alsup’s ruling, however, is not the end of this saga.
OPM and Trump’s Office of Management and Budget set a Thursday deadline last month for every federal department and agency to submit workforce reduction plans. Alsup clarified in his decision that the federal government retains the legal authority to initiate routine “reductions in force.”
“The words that I give you today should not be taken that some wild-and-crazy judge in San Francisco said that an administration cannot engage in a reduction in force,” he stated. “It can be done, if it’s done in accordance with the law.”
SCOTT BESSENT CALLS GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN A BIGGER STORY THAN STOCK MARKET SHOCK
“The Office of Personnel Management, the Department of Government Efficiency, and each agency will work together to review each agency’s respective Reductions in Force plans,” Leavitt said of the RIF deadline early Thursday, claiming that the soon-to-be-enacted firings will “streamline our broken bureaucracy, save taxpayers millions of dollars, and make the government more efficient for all.”
“Once the plans are enacted, in the continued effort of transparency, the Trump Administration will communicate them directly to the American people,” she concluded.
" Conservative News Daily does not always share or support the views and opinions expressed here; they are just those of the writer."
Now loading...